Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/27/03-10:56:39 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>Someone had also done a thesis about printing platinum which B&S also
>distributed. Those two together were far better, IMO, than the
>supposedly "definitive" book on kallitype, by nameless.

Your note reminds me of a question I have about something in Carmen
Lizardo's article on vandyke and kallitype printing in the last issue
of PFP. Is she on this list? If not, please pass my comment and
question on to her.

ON p. 22, in discussing the kallitype developer, Carmen write,
"Finally, don't throw out your used developer; the more you use it
the better it gets." My experience is slightly different. What I have
found is that as a sodium acetate or sodium citrate developer is
re-used there is an increasing tendency for the paper to develop a
stain in the sensitized but unexposed areas of the print, and after a
certain point the stain becomes so severe that it is not possible to
clear it completely in the clearing bath. The only way I have found
to prevent this stain with used developer is to replenish the
developer, which I keep in one-liter containers, at the rate of about
200ml of fresh solution for approximately every 500 square inches of
image area developed.

I would be interested in Carmen's comments on this, as well as
comments from other kallitype printers. Comments from platinum
printers also appreciated since there may be a common thread here on
developer exhaustion.

Sandy