Re: Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/28/03-03:44:08 PM Z

Sandy,

I have not resupplied recently, but the last time I bought Pt/Pd metal salts
(from ArtCraft) I think I figured the coating solution would be about $1.50
per 8x10 unit. That would be what, $12 dollars or so for a 20x24? I expect
that would be quite breath-taking when making a test print, but of course
not consequential at all when printing to deliver a sale. Cost is indeed
relative and whether it's for sales or speculation or personal fulfillment
makes a difference just like the depth of one's pocketbook.

The time factor isn't so much on how long it takes to make one print as how
many prints can be done in a session. Kalli steps are complex and I can't
imagine working except one print at a time, straight through. In Pt/Pd, by a
couple hours into the session at any one time I'm coating a sheet, exposing
one in the UV source, and processing the previous two in the
clearing/washing steps, all at once. I don't suggest one could do this with
a 20x24, so at that size the cost savings and relatively small increase in
time invested could make kalli an attractive alternate. I might even use it
at 12x20 if I felt like investing the time to eliminate the persistent
streaking problem I had when I tried it last year--that could have been the
paper. I was using Lenox and I notice you consider Stonehenge a better
starting point. Streaks, or any other process-related problem (other than
spots caused by unseen paper defects) are non-existent in my normal Pt/Pd
printing.

As for the toning possiblities--I'll leave those comparisons to others. I
can't stand toning. Making a print one way in order to turn it into
something else in subsequent steps just isn't the way my mind wants to work.
Any process that requires toning gets a bunch of demerits from me, and any
process that gives me results I want directly--as Pt/Pd does--gets a big
plus for compatibility with the way I like to work.

BTW, I'm happy to look at other people's toned pictures. Gowin's split-toned
aerial landscapes shown at Yale last year are breathtaking. I just avoid any
toning procedure like the plague in my own work.---Carl

--
            Web site with picture galleries
            and workshop information