Re: Len maintenance...

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 04/28/03-03:46:03 PM Z

The Great Rule is to use the lightest touch possible, like in every respect.
Naphtha is good cleaner; use a Q-Tip. Touch, wait the few seconds for it to
dry, then repeat, repeat, repeat. Apply nothing else to the iris. Barely
touch the blades; if the iris is working, a very light light cleaning will
make it work better. Anything else will mal-position the blades or
do something else bad. As far as any lever etc. that connects the F-ring to
the operation of the blades, do nothing but clean, as above, or, at the most
invasive, rifle oil, watch oil, i.e., the lightest viscosity oil you can find
(gun stores, hobby shops). As far as threads, just clean with the naphtha
and/or a needle, or something similar, to dislodge particulates. -JB