Re: Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/28/03-06:22:03 PM Z

Jeff,

Nothing to it, except handling the palladium salt, which is so fine a powder
that it will be absorbed into a paper cup! I dissolve 3.5 grams of salt (3.7
if it's lithium chloride instead of sodium chloride) in about half of
premeasured 55ml of warmed distilled water. I then weigh five grams of
palladium chloride into a slip of aluminum foil, add it to the salt water
with a funnel, then put in the rest of the water carefully flushing the
funnel with it. Shake, give it a few seconds in the microwave and shake
again, and you're done. For Pt, I just buy a ten gram quantity and dissolve
it in 50ml of distilled water. Again, just warm and shake in the bottle.
It's a normal crystal, not hard to manipulate.

I've bought the salts from a place in TX called Science Alliance, and also
from Mike at ArtCraft Chemical, who is my generally preferred supplier for
all this stuff. I have no reason to believe that any better quality can be
expected elsewhere.

>From what Eric posted, prices of the salts may have fluctuated in a pleasant
direction over the past year, but figure 5g of Pd salt gets you something
like 56ml of solution and calculate the difference from a premixed bottle.

btw, here's a sneak peek at the installation of my show opening on
Saturday...

http://www.carlweese.com/SRS.html

---Carl