Gum Sizing

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/03/03-07:49:14 AM Z

Christine,

I see your point as you describe it but sheese, what a way to size.

How about just brushing on a layer of gelatin?

Speaking of sizing I was working on an idea about 10 year ago on a quick
sizing system. I dropped it as I'll explain later.

Scotchguard!

This was the old solvent based stuff. Full strength it is ridiculous as
nothing sticks to the paper and it acts like a coating of oil. I was down
to a few drops per 100 ml of solvent which was 3,3,3 trichloroethane or dry
cleaning solvent. I was getting mixed results at the time but I probably
needed to go to an even weaker dilution. The stuff is absurdly potent.

The solvent based Scotchguard consumer product went off the market in
Californis due to the solvent and could only be bought in 100 gallon lots
that were being sold to auto manufacturers etc. Trichloroethane also was
banned in California. The neat thing was you could dip the paper in the
tray of solvent and SG mix and hold it up and it dried in about 10 seconds
with not wrinkle or anything like that. The fumes made your head spin too.
The fumes were not explosive though.

If anyone picks up on this let me know how it works.

--Dick