Re: RAW files

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 08/03/03-09:51:45 AM Z

The D100 is a great camera to use, but a little too big and heavy for my
taste also - I have had some shoulder problems carrying it around all day,
and the D1X is twice the weight. I like to hold a camera ready to use and
this is fine with a Leica, but these things are too heavy for a long day,
though fine if you keep them dangling on a strap or in a shoulder bag or
back sack. The forthcoming Pentax digital is around 510g body only

The bad news about RAW format is that you get better results from using
Capture One software - if your camera will support this. The D100 will
work with the cheaper version - about 100USD, though this does have a few
annoying limitations. Bibble is pretty good, supports more raw formats for
the same price, but unfortunately I found I got better results with
Capture One.

I compare the two programs briefly at
http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa061603c.htm and the feature
also has an explanation of raw files and links to other relevant stuff.

Regards,

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com