RE: Cyanotype curve

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 08/06/03-08:36:19 AM Z

Hi Tom,

I didn't know that last fact but starting to realize/concretize it quite
well :)

> There can't be "one curve" for
> any process
> (too many variables), there most definitely can't be "one curve" for
> cyanotype!! I'm sure Dan know this and gives his curves as "starting
> points" for all of us to fine tune and mess with.

I did another curve (similar general form but it starts with 0 - 32 and
ends around 140-150... it was a great amnt. of modification because it
came out very flat - this is not the flat print I mentioned before; it's
another one). It seems that I should experiment with less wild
adjustments.

> You said Dan's cyanotype curve was too flat, and the image you posted

The flat one was from a specific cyanotype curve in Dan's CD - was
donated from another person / don't remember his/her name.

> using his platinum curve was (too my eyes) too contrasty. Compare the
> two curves and mathematically average them. This won't give you (and
> your chemistry, paper, water, techniques) perfection, but it will get
> you close. From there it is just play, if your prints are too flat,
> increase the curves contrast, to dark in the mid tones, adjust the
> curve. Using a step wedge (as you did) really helps.
>
> I figure it takes me 6 or 8 prints to get a really good curve
> without a
> densitometer.

One problem is that I still couldn't find an effective and repeatable
way to coat the paper (don't want to use glass rods - want nice brush
marks)... I guess I should practice more. Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Loris.