Re: Banding?

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 08/08/03-07:35:32 AM Z

Hey Kerik,

Though I haven't heard of the problem on 2000Ps, the 1270 had a problem
with that same kind of vertical banding. The first time I saw it was at
Anderson Ranch in 2000 where we had two of the 2700s pumping out negs for
platinum. After a couple days, one of the 1270s started to band in the
long axis. You couldn't see it in inkjet prints but you sure did in
negatives. Epson Red-Labeled us a replacement and the problem was fixed.
Then my own 1270 started doing the same banding thing. I tried all kinds
of things and finally had to retire the machine as a negative-maker. You
may be seeing the same thing on your 2000P.

The 2200 (I KNOW you don't want to hear about getting yet another
printer) is doing the best job yet of making negatives. Just something to
consider if you do opt for replacing the 2000P.

And let us know if any of the other good suggestions (cleaning the chrome
guide rod, printing with different image orientation, etc.) help with the
banding.

>Making big in-camera negs is MUCH easier!

Uhh, maybe, after you've built up the camera system and schlepped it all
over the place. I spent way too many hours repairing 11x14 film holders,
fixing bellows problems, building special cases for camera and holders,
etc. I admire people who make good images with ANY equipment but I can
promise you I don't miss phylm in the least. ;^)

Dan