Re: Fabriano Artistico NOT 300gsm

From: Wynn White (wynn@boardermail.com)
Date: 08/10/03-02:43:30 AM Z

Dear Richard,

> Highlight staining is something I had a problem with as
well.
> No-one on this list could help me establish a cause. It
appears
> that some papers stain, and others do not. There is also
some
> effect due to the chemicals, water etc. as papers that
others had
> good results with, produced stains in my tests. Artististico
is
> one of the few which did not stain. Cartridge paper gives
> good results, but I have not had luck finding the heavy
weight
> Australian made cartrdige locally. Instead they offer light
weight
> Indonesian made, which is OK but the print is not as good
> as I got with the Australian cartridge. Rising Stonehenge
> clears well, but I found the details tended to "bleed".

I am in the middle of a weeklong cyanotype printing session
and have found that adding 1 gram of citric acid to 100 ml of
the New Cyanotype sensitizer eliminates all highlight
staining. Citric acid has been my silver bullet.

For my first bath I have been using 3% citric acid for 1
minute. The pH of my tap water is around 8 so I acidify my
wash water with citric acid to about pH 6. I go through about
5 changes of water with agitation and my prints are
completely clear. If I have overexposed the print a bit I rinse
it in my alkaline tap water until the highlights are reduced to
the place that I want them to be. I have also been giving the
prints a dip in dilute H2O2 because I just love to see the
deepening of the blue when I do that.

I tried Rising Gallery 100 and Stonehenge and didn't get
staining but did get grain. I have used albireo and also
Whatman papers and both worked very well with no grain.

Best regards,
Wynn