Re: Fabriano Artistico NOT 300gsm

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/09/03-11:44:03 PM Z

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Richard Urmonas wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 03:03 pm, you wrote:
>
> > What can you say about the longevity of cyanotype on that paper? Is
> > Fabriano Artistico calcium carbonate buffered (no good for Cyanotype -
> > isn't it)? Is there a non buffered with no optical brighteners and
> > internally sized paper around?

I wouldn't trust anything the manufacturer says about
buffered/non-buffered. Firstly they don't know, and secondly they lie.
Let me suggest you get the pH pen from Light Impressions or Talas... it
costs relatively little, it's handy to have around, and it may actually
give you the info you seek.

I'd suspect BTW that the soak in water in development would go a long way
toward neutralizing the paper in any event -- assuming your water is
neutral. The vinegar bath can be tricky -- has to be used with finesse or
it may stain highlights. But I've done cyano on 20 or 30 papers, & my
students did it on every cockamamie paper they could find, including
strays picked up off the sidewalk in the east village.

All worked... tho maybe it was the sweet Brooklyn water ! I'm wondering
if the water could be the problem...and if a first wash in distilled could
solve that ?!

J.