Re: Pt/PD Paper for Superior resolution

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 08/14/03-01:07:50 PM Z

From: Yu rei <nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp>
Subject: Re: Pt/PD Paper for Superior resolution
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:57:41 +0900 (JST)

> What is wicking?

Doesn't your wife clean the floor with a piece of floorcloth with a
bucket full of water? What happens if you hung the floorcloth at the
top edge of the bucket, and the water touches the cloth... the floor
gets dripping water through the cloth... that's my understanding of
wicking. I think the paper is trying to advertise that the ink won't
diffuse out through capillary phenomenon. The paper surface is pretty
hard, and I can write with a fountain pen (with somewhat high
pressure) without seeing capillary phenomenon, and the ink also dries
slowly. With soaked and dried paper, the capillary phenomenon is also
absent, but the ink dries faster... suggesting that there's some
soluble surface coating contributing to the character of the paper.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)