Re: Light Source for Gum?

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 08/15/03-06:46:57 PM Z

I think that most all 1000W metal halide bulbs, regular commercial
luminaires as well as the special bulbs for platemakers such as
NuArc, put out a lot of effective radiation for gum printing. They
all put out a lot of heat, however, so you should use them with a fan.

If you set up a 100OW metal halide bulb in a luminaire fixture at
about 40" from the pod of the bulb to the easel or contact printing
frame you will get an area of even illumination of around 30", with
about a 1/3 stop fall-off at the corners.

I work with both a 1000W metal halide bulb and a large bank of BLB
tubes. Exposure times with the 1000W metal halide bulb at 40" from
the printing frame exposures are comparable to those with the BLB
bank at 5" from the printing frame. You can make excellent prints
with either type light, though one might find advantages in one or
the other depending on a number of circumstances.

The primary advantage of the luminaire type light over a bank of UV
tubes is that no construction is involved. You just buy the fixture
and bulb and assemble and hang it.

Sandy