Re: sofig virus

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08/22/03-01:25:46 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <nm1@bolton.ac.uk>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 7:50 AM
Subject: sofig virus

> I received an e-mail from the group today, 3.30pm UK time
that had the sofig virus in
> it.
>
> The subject was:
>
> re-application
>
> the text of the e-mail was:
>
> Please see the attached file for details.
>
> Posted by:
>
> randall.webb@lineone.net
>
> The attachment was a .pif file. that my virus software
deleted as it had the sofig virus
> in it.
>
> Never open a pif file, it is almost certainly a virus.
They usually accompany an e-mail
> from somebody that you would normally receive e-mails from
so the temptation is to
> trust the attachment but...... don't.
>
> The poster, randall... , will probably not be aware that
this e-mail has been sent from
> his account but his/her computer is infected and needs to
be dealt with.

> I hope that no one else has opened the attachment, if you
have then your machine
> will have the sofig virus as well.
>
> regards
>
> Nigel Miller

  The message probably did NOT come from the list. The
Sobig-F virus sends itself to all addresses in a machine's
e-mail address book and spoofs the message header to look
like messages are being _sent_ from those addresses. All of
the anti-virus programs have updates to stop Sobig-F. See
Macafee, Trend Microsystems, or Norton sites for details of
how the virus works, updates for their programs, and means
to clean your machine should it be infected.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com