RE: Vellum

From: Kerik Kouklis (kerik@kerik.com)
Date: 08/23/03-02:12:40 AM Z

> After discussions on the best definition paper for Pt/Pd I ordered
> some Everclear and Mars vellum to try with kallitype. I have not yet
> received the Everclear vellum, but something called Staedtler Plain
> Vellum, described as a 100% Rag Vellum, in 18X24" sheets, arrived
> yesterday, apparently as a substitue for the Mars vellum.

Sandy, I think you mean Clearprint rather than Everclear! And that is the
correct Staedtler. Same stuff I've got.

> Today I printed with it. It is very thin, but appeared to accept the
> sensitizing solution well, and smoothed out ok in the vacuum easel.
> It developed fine, without any spots, and cleared and toned well.
> Overall I would say that it worked great in terms of producing a nice
> final image, but is somewhat difficult to work with being so thin.

If you get the Clearprint 1020 it is thicker and easier to work with than
the Staedtler or Clearprint 1000. For these thin vellum papers I put a piece
of white opaque plexiglass in the bottom of my tray and use that to support
and lift the print. I've had no problems printing 14x17 and 12x20 this way.

> Thought I would mention this primarily because of the fact that there
> were absolutely none of the black spots mentioned in some of the
> previous conversations on printing Pt/Pd on vellums

Clay has a batch that prints clean. There seem to be some batches more prone
to spots than others.

Kerik