factories: updates and corrections welcome (was RE: Test of J&C Classic 200)

From: David Foy (dfoy@marketactics.com)
Date: 08/26/03-09:54:03 PM Z

Film factories of the world:
Kodak (USA, Canada (microfilm), Europe, China joint venture)
Fuji (Japan, USA, Netherlands, China joint venture)
Agfa (Singapore (?), Belgium, Germany)
Ferrania (Italy, USA)
Lucky (China)
Ilford (UK)
Ukraine (correct name? Svema? Smena? are they still in business?)
Russia(??)
Foma (Czech Republic)
Forte (Hungary)
Fotokemika (Croatia)

No longer in business:
Poland (absorbed by Foma)
Spain (former Ilford licensee, now vanished)
Slovenia (former Foma plant? warehouse? I'm lost here.)
ORWO (Original Wolfen, the East German Agfa, bankrupt recently and now
reselling Ilford films)

Oddball:
Tura (they coat something, but what? Everything else sourced elsewhere and
repackaged)
Maco (They slit and sheet, but don't coat: everything is repackaged from
someone else, mostly from Fotokemika?)
Bergger (repacking Forte, but anything else?)

Big questions:
South America?
India?

For sure: factories like Forte or Fotokemika only ship what they make. They
don't do factory runs of special versions of anything for repackagers like
Bergger or Maco. If you detect differences between Forte and Bergger
products, or Maco and Fotokemika products, it's due to something like age or
batch variation, not due to different processes. Yes, the differences you
see are real. But they're not different because of different production
forumulas. Possible exception: Maco may have an exclusive on one or two
Fotokemika ortho films, if Maco helped finance the emulsion's development.

Lots of guesswork in this list. Can anyone update and correct?

Film consumption worldwide is dropping rapidly, 3% annually and the rate of
decrease is speeding up (Photo Marketing Association data). I'll leave you
now, on that cheerful note.

David Foy