Re: Archival qualities of Pictorico OHP film.

kateb@paradise.net.nz
Date: 08/28/03-06:17:25 PM Z

Quoting Julian Smart <julian@jsmart.fslife.co.uk>:

> Hello All,
>
> for the past two years I have been producing my gum negatives on
> Pictorico
> film.
> Prior to April this year I was printing on an Epson 1290, using
> standard
> Epson cartridges. I recently had cause to examine some of my negs. and
> found
> them to be faded beyond use. There is a marked colour shift towards the
> red
> and a corresponding density decrease, making them now unuseable.
>
> I believe this is an issue with all non-archival inks - however, this is one
of the advantages for digital negs - keep the files and you can just reprint.
Much better than scratches on a traditional negative! Anyhow, frequently used
negs should be tested for density from time to time using a step wedge.

I have since changed over to (but not yet tested) Lyson Quad(hex?)
> black
> inks. I hope these will be a little more stable and will give me a
> smoother,
> more delicate neg than the Epson inks .
>
> I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences with this
> film,
> particularly if anyone has returned to reprint a neg after several
> months
> and produced a different result because of a faded neg.
>
> I now have a 2100 (2200 in the States) but have yet to make any negs on
> this
> as my gum printing season runs from September. Might I expect similar
> results or will the pigment inks be naturally more archival on this
> substrate?

sorry, can't help here :)

Kate