Inkjet neg methods, was: Re: Archival qualities of Pictorico OHP film.

From: Larry Roohr (larry.roohr@comcast.net)
Date: 08/29/03-08:19:58 AM Z

Hi Mark,

It wasnt too late, but I did hit the sheets. I hope reality isnt too far off of how I imagine this so this isnt just a big rathole.

If the model I'm using (that I made up in my head) is correct then a 51% gray for this hypothetical area of film would get 51 black dots. With quadtones (or color) it would use some mix of them all to arrive at 51% depending on how the driver algorithm works. It would have black, 75%, 50%, and 25% ink to mix up to get any tone in the agregate. I know the actual ink densitys are very different than this but same idea. It would use more dots of lighter ink than the black ink only gray did. Paul Roarke's method for his VM inks on the MIS website colorizes in an interesting way to get a good mix and ramp with the grays in the color positions, the Sundance driver does the same essentailly with the colorizing step built into the driver.

Have you successfully profiled Pictorico OHP? I've tried a couple methods with no luck at all. On my 1280 with OHP theres a real nasty color shift about 3/4 of the way up the ramp that I havnt been able to do anything about.

You know, I spend way too much time worrying about this stuff and too little time photographing and printing. When I have time to spend again I may just get a 2200, use Dan's curve, and be done with it.

Larry