Re: Pt/Pd toned Kallitye versus straight Pt/Pd

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/31/03-06:30:38 AM Z

Sandy,

As I mentioned when this first came up, Kalli processing is complex enough
that you more less have to follow it through from start to finish with one
print at a time. Because Pt/Pd processing is so much simpler, you can work
on several prints at once. While the first print is in the light source, I
coat and dry the second print. When the first print is developed and goes
into the first water clear, the second print goes into the exposure box and
I coat and dry the third. Etc. It may take an hour for each print to go
through the process, but it's easy to make a dozen prints in a half-day
session.

If I remember right, I found kallitype exposures to be just 20-25% shorter
than palladium with my negatives. I'm interested that Kerik's pyro-developed
negatives print in under ten minutes. Mine take about half again that long
(and half again longer with my vacuum frame setup) but that's ok, because it
gives me plenty of time to prepare the next sheet of paper. I find that
short exposure times make for a worse workflow overall.

---Carl