RE: Pt/Pd toned Kallitye versus straight Pt/Pd

From: Kerik Kouklis (kerik@kerik.com)
Date: 08/31/03-10:00:24 AM Z

Sandy,

> I gave an example of my workflow based on what I consider minimum
> times with both processes to do archival processing, and the times
> came out about the same for kallitype and palladium. Show me your
> workflow so I can understand how you cut the time for palladium
> processing in half.

I just re-read your workflow and now see your total process times were for
digital negs and included the wash time (it was very late when I read it). I
wasn't even considering the wash time, because that is happening in the
background and does not impede one from working on the next print or
whatever. The bottom line is that I tried kallitype a couple years ago and
worked with it for a few weeks. Long enough to convince myself it wasn't
going to fit into my way of working. Most of the wet processing with
palladium takes almost no attention and allows me to be working on the next
print or next several prints. If the print sits in the clearing bath for too
long because I was coating/drying another sheet of paper, no harm done. Not
so with a kallitype sitting in the fixer for example.

So it's not so much the time it takes to make one print start to finish
because that is really just trivia since I don't work that way, but it's
more about the productivity of the process during a printing session of
several hours as Carl suggested. I have no interest in trying to quantify
it, but I'm quite certain I can make many more palladium prints during a
given session than kallis with fewer failures. Again, the cost of the
materials is trivial compared to the value of my time.

And if some dolt buys one of my prints because it's made with palladium vs.
one of yours because it is a kallitype, I'll take his money. But this is NOT
why I choose to print in platinum/palladium. Most sophisticated art buyers
are much more concerned with the content of the image and who made it than
the content of the print. Most unsophisitcated art buyers aren't going to
spend the $500 on up that it's going to cost for a fine photograph,
regardless of the print medium.

Kerik