RE: Pt/Pd toned Kallitye versus straight Pt/Pd

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 08/31/03-08:50:58 AM Z

Kerik,

>>An in-camera negative that requires 20 minutes for kallitype needs 30
>minutes for palladium
>
>Whoa... either you make some killer negs or you have a wimpy light source.
>Most of my Rollo Pyro negs (FP4, HP5 and FortePan) get less than 10 minutes
>in a 4-ft 40-watt UV box. Many of them print in under 5. My digital negs
>print in 2.5 - 3.5 min.

Most of my in-camera negatives require 10-20 minute exposures but I
expose for very rich shadow detail with typical shadow values at
about log 0.40. I could reduce density to about log 0.20 (and
exposures by about half) by metering the shadows more on the edges
but I favor slight over-exposure as a safety factor. Exposures for
digital negatives on Pictorico range from a low of about 175 to a
high of 250 units, where one unit equals one second. This seems
pretty consistent with your figures so I figure my light source is
not all that wimpy compared to your. Service bureau negative will
print about 50% faster than negatives on Pictorico.

>I can make a palladium print in 1/2 the time of your Kallitype.

I gave an example of my workflow based on what I consider minimum
times with both processes to do archival processing, and the times
came out about the same for kallitype and palladium. Show me your
workflow so I can understand how you cut the time for palladium
processing in half.

Sandy