Re: scanning for powerpoint *OT*

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 12/04/03-09:49:55 PM Z

The original Macintosh computer with it's 9" b/w screen displayed
square "pixels" at 72 ppi. This corresponds with the"Point" unit for
measuring fonts. Thus the original Apple Imagewriter printed at
72 dpi and later with a quality mode of 144 dpi. Monitors grew
in resolution and dot pitch changed so that an actual measurement
would be 80 ppi on one screen or 77 ppi on another.
IBM PC's set their standards for a 96 ppi monitor. Along came
the NEXT computer and the WWW was born with a 72 ppi
standard based on it's Macintosh origins.

Software written for Macintosh machines assumed a 72 ppi monitor.
Those written for the IBM PC assumed a 96 ppi monitor.
Microsoft PowerPoint assumes that 96 ppi standard for default.
However, since monitor resolutions vary (and you can measure this
on your monitor) the actual "pixels" per inch is not exactly 72 or 96
but usually some ppi between the two.

The 10 in x 7.5 in @ 96 dpi is a default set in most versions of
Powerpoint when importing an image. That can be changed in
the preferences dialog. 72 dpi is fine but would not import to the
maximum slide dimension. One would need to resize the
image to the edges in PowerPoint and the program does not do
a very good job of resizing at these resolutions. Try it both ways and see
which gives you the sharper image. The latest version of Powerpoint
may default differently. I'm testing Keynote now as an alternative
because I find PowerPoint to be such an annoying piece of software.

However, I think David Byrne really likes it! check out the link:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/ppt1.html

It is my understanding that screens will only display 72dpi.
How does the 96dpi help?
Seems it would only make the image larger and less manageable.

Rocky
Huston, TX