Re: Epson Perfection 3200 Photo Color Scanner

From: jfulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 12/05/03-12:21:30 AM Z

Only the pro version has the SilverFast software bundled with it. I bought
the pro version for that reason but, frankly, I find SilverFast very
confusing -- neither the website or the directions on the CD are of much
help -- and have only used the Epson software. What am I missing? Any
advice? I cornered the LaserSoft guy at PhotoExpo, but he wasn't much help
either... .

LaserSoft's SilverFast A1 is pro software and gives excellent visual
profiles for various films but sometimes you'll find a Fuji color neg
profile will do a nicer job than the Kodak Supra. What I mean is that if you
are using the Supra film you may find the Fuji profile to produce a better
result.
There are excellent controls similar to PS's curves, a good hue and
saturation and then contrast. etc. There are really three useful controls
governed by sliders and curves.
It is best to also use the Monaco EZcolor2 software that comes with a full
instruction booklet. The LaserSoft folks provide an IT8 target in reflection
and transparent characteristics and use those to calibrate the scanner.
However, the Epson software really does an excellent job 90% of the time.
If one wishes even better scans (apparently anyway for I have not tried it
yet) you can rig up a glass sheet and special acetate to sandwich your
neg/tranny ebedded in a drum scan liquid called KAMI.
Jack Fulton