Kallitype exposure and negative dmax

From: Mike Klemmer ^lt;mklemmer@comcast.net>
Date: 12/05/03-05:00:14 PM Z

I'm working on some kallitype images using printed digital negatives. I've been using a dmax curve of 1.8 on the images before I invert the image and print the negative. The resulting prints have the shadows becoming overexposed before the highlights have been exposed properly. If I expose for the highlights, the blackest parts of the print get overexposed to the point of solarizing during development. If I expose the black correctly, then the highlights are underexposed causing an ugly posterization. Will using a lower dmax on the negatives correct this problem....say 1.5 - 1.6 or so?

Regards,

Michael