Re: speaking of viruses

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/05/03-05:15:02 PM Z

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>.... The worm messages run 142 or
> 156 kb each to it doesn't take a lot of them to fill the
> mailbox and cause it to send error messages. The rate of
> these has fallen off to maybe fifty a day so they are
> managable. Earthlink absolutely refuses to filter them at
> server level. They are either very stupid or very good at
> pretending to be stupid.

Another reason folks should't send attachments to the list -- we have to
leave room for the viruses. Not to mention the spam -- unless they're the
same thing? Spam Assassin has been very effective in cutting down my
spam, from about 50 to only 1 or 2 a day. I don't know if that will cut
out the Microsoft "patch" (tho you surely do), but if Earthlink won't, can
you get your own?

Also on topic for the list -- somehow folks who subscribed to the list
using the correct listserv address and protocol, try to "unsubscribe" by
just sending that message to the list, repeatedly.... So could folks who
haven't done that yet take note? It doesn't work. Well, I suppose it does
work in that eventually someone will advise them offlist, or Gord may even
step in. But, tsk tsk.

And something off topic: an interesting article in yesterday's NY Times
Circuits section about the "oops" factor in inflation -- it seems banks
and other large companies tack items for obscure "services" & the like
onto their bills. When you call to protest, they *say* ok it's removed,
but it isn't, & can remain for a very long time if not forever. Since your
call takes ca 25 minutes, they count on your giving up. I read this as I
was about to visit my bank to say their charge for a stop check order was
in error. They promised to remove it.

But I was going around the corner anyway for some ingredients, so I
figure it was only 10 minutes.

cheers,

Judy