RE: slightly OT - lenses and closeup

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 12/07/03-11:06:01 PM Z

OK, since we've ventured this far afield. What about the use of
"close-up" filters on larger view camera lenses. I recently purchased
a 300mm Nikor M for my 4X5 field camera - a Tachihara which has barely
enough bellows extenstion to focus the lovely piece of glass at
infinity. I am using a Nikon +1 closeup filter and having a good deal
of success using this lens in many more scenes. QUESTION: Is this
heresy or just a slight optical compromise? I've nothing to really
judge against, since the lens was never able to focus this close
before... everything looks pretty sharp to my eyes.

Darryl