Re: Lith film and base density

From: Scott Wainer ^lt;smwbmp@starpower.net>
Date: 12/07/03-11:16:29 PM Z

> > started using Dektol diluted 1+15 @ 70F for 2-1/2 minutes and when I
> > switched to Ansco 130 diluted 1+1 @ 70F for 5 minutes fb+f went from
about
> > .07 to about .03 density.
>
> Lith films are made for different chemical properties than usual
> continuous tone negative material, and they can exhibit elevated fog
> when processed in developers typical for continuous tone processing.
> This can be most effectively taken care of by addition of small amount
> of benzotriazoles or other common antifoggants such as
> 1-phenyl-5-mercaptotetrazole. It is not necessary to change developers
> just for this purpose.

Interesting. Looking back at my notes, I see that I was using Chris Patton's
E-72 Dektol-type developer rather than Kodak Dektol. Having been out of the
E-72 and having Ansco 130 on the shelf, I decided to give it a try and liked
the tonality and overall effect better than the E-72. E-72 contains 1.9 gm
and Ansco 130 contains 5.5 gm of potassium bromide per liter; would
increasing the amount in the E-72 inhibit fogging? Or would it be better to
subsitute benzotriazole for the potassium bromide? OTOH Ansco 130 also has
the addition of 11 gm of Glycin, a normally clean working agent, which I
assumed was, in part, responsible for the lower level of fog. Any ideas?

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net