Re: Mordancage Process

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/08/03-01:21:34 AM Z

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> I have discovered some fun stuff about mordancage now that I have
> concentrated on it more and these are a few points that are not in my
> article. for one, if you get in a pinch, use a bottle of regular hydrogen
> peroxide from the drug store. It is 3% which is really low, but if you add
> your copper chloride directly to that with no added water you can use it--in
> other words, per liter of the drug store hy per add 15 grams of copper
> chloride which is about a tablespoon.

Chris, I've been puzzling over why my experience with these chemicals was
so different from yours -- as I've noted I found copper sulfate worked
fine, and after I used up my first bottle of bomb-grade peroxide, I began
using drugstore stuff at about a tenth of the price. But I still only
needed about twice the amount called for, and even then the bleach would
keep for a few days & could be re-used, at least with heating.

What occurs to me is it might have been that I was using an old paper --
probably 20 years old at the time, if not more (the Brovira #6). "They"
say old papers didn't have the supercoating, or hardening that modern
papers have, causing problems with bromoil for modern papers (tho they
seem to have been overcome?).

I was doing the mordancage where you etch before fixing, and then
reverse (expose to white light & redevelop), and wash without fixing
(nothing left to fix, presumably). But it sounds like you're doing that
too?

Then below you say something probably isn't archival. Because you painted
on fix? My reversals have as far as I can tell been archival (about 20
years). But they had no fixer.

Judy

 Then add your acetic acid; if you