RE: slightly OT - lenses and closeup

From: David J. Greiner Jr. ^lt;godlike@elp.rr.com>
Date: 12/08/03-07:59:27 PM Z

> It seemed to me from my recent excursion to a camera shop, that medium
> priced 35mm analogue cameras now have lots of bells and whistles
> previously not available, (such as facility for double exposure,
> changing point of focus in autofocus, digital readout of everything
> etc etc) which suggested to me - rightly or wrongly - that film
> camera manufacturers had stepped it up in order to compete with
> digital cameras. In effect, Canon, for example, is competing with
> itself over 2 forms of photography

Well double exposure is more like something cameras _lost_ as they became
more electronic and only recently have manufacturers recently added it back
to slr's. I always laugh when I see that as a "feature" lol. Digital
readouts of everything have actually been around for quite a few years now.
Personally I've always thought that this was a bad thing. Manufacturers
keep making slr's so complicated that the average consumer with a budding
interest in photography will probably spend more time playing with their
camera than using it. At least that's what I've always noticed. As far as
changing autofocus points, that's also been around for a awhile, but when I
was working as a camera store last year and playing with all the models, I
still haven't found an autofocus system that's faster than me, so I think
they're a waste of money.

> Or perhaps, as a very manual, medium format user, it's apparent that I
> haven't been to a camera store in a long time and I've missed out
> on quite a bit...

I would have to agree that it's apparant you haven't been to a camera store
in awhile, on the other hand I'm not really sure if you've really missed out
on anything...lol

  -David-

*****
Life is nothing but a competition to