Re: spots and fish eyes

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/08/03-12:02:00 PM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> You know what??? I wonder if it isn't the flip side of the fish
> eyes--this one has the paper accepting too much pigment perhaps???
> Chris

I think you're on the right track here. It looks to me like part of
your paper got wet through when you were shrinking it and the other part
got wet only in spots, affecting the sizing differentially so that later
when you were coating the paper, the coating soaked in more in those
spots than in the surrounding areas. It looks to me like the splotches
are about the same color and shade as the overall color in the half of
the paper that (in my conjecture) got evenly wet in the shrink cycle,
and the surrounding areas are lighter, which suggests to me that the
internal sizing stayed more intact in those areas.

BTW, I recently read (I hope I've got this right) in the Daniel Smith
catalog that Fabriano Uno (now called something else) is sized with
something other than gelatin; they didn't say what this non-gelatin size
is. I wondered if that explains why I don't like Uno very well, although
I've never run into anything quite like this with it. But Arches
Platine, which is sized with starch, also tends to get holes in its
sizing as it gets wet, which makes me wonder...

I'm making this all up as I go, but I think it makes sense,
kt