Re: spots and fish eyes

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 12/08/03-09:57:07 PM Z

Fish eyes

Iv'e been wondering about fisheyes for years and just had a thought. What
made me wonder was why would a oily finger print made fisheyes not a
fingerprint shaped area of resitance to smooth washing of the water based
media. Why is the fisheye always perfactly round?

My current thought is that there is a threshhold that must be passed before
a spot on the paper can reject the water. So there is no half way rejection.
At some point the surface of the paper is too unwelcome for the water to
cover it, for the surface tension to be broken. But when the surface tension
is broken the surrounding water is formed into a circle around the resistant
spot by the surface tension. The fisheyes are probably all the same diameter
because there is a limit to the circular hole the sheet of water can hold
open without the surface tension jumping over the spot. So a larger area of
resistance to wetting will either show the same size fisheyes or none ( the
water will bridge the area). If the latter happens in gum coating the gum
will not be well adhered to the paper but you won't know it until the
emusion fall off as soon as it hits the water for developement. I would
guess that a thicker gum mix (more pigment or less water) could be brushed
over such spots without one being aware of them until developement. Another
reason to coat in thin layers.

The black spots you are reporting sound like gaps in the size. Perhaps there
is a production problem in their sizing consistancy. Perhaps bubbles in the
size if there is an external size they apply to this paper. Or Katherine's
idea of uneven wetness during shrinking. Bubbles at that stage. I've only
seen spots like this with really clumsy sizing (my application of size).

Jack