Re: Lith film

From: Tony K ^lt;tonyk@digital-lucida.com.au>
Date: 12/11/03-05:18:03 PM Z

Perhaps the real test would be to create the gradient in 16 Bit mode,
duplicate the file and convert one to 8 Bit, then send both the 16 & 8 Bit
to the printer at the same print settings and see if there is any
difference. If there is none then it would appear that a conversion of the
16 Bit file is taking place.

It may be creating the file in 8 Bit and 16 Bit is not the right test.

As an aside I don't think the Epson driver is capable of doing any high
level conversions itself although it may certainly call upon Photoshop to do
these functions.

on 12/12/03 10:05 AM, Sam Wang at wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Pardon me, but if the Epson driver converts the 16 bit file to 8 bit on the
> fly, the result is certainly
> different.
>
> I just showed Sandy my tests and he can vouch for me: I created a gradiant in
> 2 separate files, one
> 8 bit and the other 16. Then I made the same curve adjustments on both and
> printed them on
> Pictorico with same settings. The 8 bit file showed posterization while the 16
> bit file did not - it's
> smooth.
>
> So there is a definite advantage of using 16 bit throughout.
>
> Sam Wang
> PS: Mark, you know how long I waited to be able to find something worth saying
> that you don't
> already know!?

Tony Kelly
Digital Lucida