RE: dags and ambrotypes

From: Christopher Lovenguth ^lt;chrisml@pacbell.net>
Date: 12/12/03-11:36:57 AM Z

Yes this is all you need, the old glass plate holders. I see them on EBay
time to time. The harder thing to come by is a lens that’s fast enough. Look
for old barrel lenses, since you are not going to need a shutter anyways. I
have a very simple setup for my 4”x5” images using an old SpeedGraphic and a
barrel lens that I think is around 2.4-3.8, not knowing exactly what it is.
I’ve found a clever way of having more then one focal length by taking the
front element off the lens are replacing it with a three-step “close-up”
filter. With this getup I’m making images in about 20-30 seconds in bright
blue 11am-2pm summer sky using the Becquerel method.

-Chris
www.chrisportfolio.com