Re: dags and ambrotypes

From: Agustin ^lt;abarrutia@velocom.com.ar>
Date: 12/11/03-08:12:00 PM Z

Stuart. You can use any camera that will take the special glass holders. They are usually arround in old photo shops for a couple of bucks. I´ve never did 4x5 dags (only 6x6cm) but I know that Christopher Lovenguth (a member of the list) makes 4x5 dags (and i think 8x10 too). I use a Rolleiflex with a special back for plate holders.
I do recomend starting with smaller plates, and then build up your studio when you achieve good results with them. Polishing a 4x5´ surface is 4 times more job than with a 6x6cm plate.
Are you planing to develop with mercury fumes or using the bequerel process?. Iodine or iodine/bromine sensitizer?.
Try to buy Barnier book "Coming into focus". It has a really interesting chapter about dags.
Good luck.

Agustin.