Re: Dreaded fungus

From: Richard Urmonas ^lt;rurmonas@tpg.com.au>
Date: 12/17/03-09:13:26 AM Z

Quoting Jim Strain <jstrain@iquest.net>:

> Cannot remember whether this has been addressed before. I went to print
> one of my 8x10 negs tonight and I noticed in the print a ghostly area. I
> went back to look at the negative and found an area where there where
> spidery legs coming off of a central place in the neg. Since I had
> previously used this neg in a show, I went back to look at the scan of the
> show print and, sure enough, it was there then, also (2000). Is there any
> recovery? Any way to get rid of the fungus without destroying the neg?
> Thanks for your help. Jim

The area damaged by the fungus is not recoverable (apart from
using digital methods to replace the missing section on a digital neg.).
Try putting the negative in the strong sunlight for a while. This should kill off
the fungus. Do not sit it behind a window as the glass will block some of the
wanted UV light.

Richard

--
Richard Urmonas