Re: Re: Dreaded fungus

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 12/17/03-10:39:34 PM Z

There are a variety of UV light based disinfection systems.

In our buidling we used to use germicidal lamps to keep "culture" rooms
sterile - but we don't any longer. Keeping entire rooms sterile is very
impracatical and Too many health risks and long-term damage to equipment
due to constant exposure to UV.

These prevent fungi from becoming established but usually won't kill an
established fungal growth

Some UV based disinfecting systems here:
http://www.atlanticuv.com/resicomm.htm

But I don't think any of these would prevent growth of fungus on film -
only if the film was stored under UV light, this would eventually destroy
the film.

Gord

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 res1dvao@verizon.net wrote:

> Dry and cool least likely to grow fungus. Warm, moist conditions most
> likely. Not sure but a good dose of UV light might slow it down. Or at
> least give it cancer.
>
> George

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2