Re: Dreaded fungus

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 12/17/03-10:59:06 PM Z

Years ago, I worked in a motion picture lab in San Francisco where we
offered a treatment for film to halt and prevent mold growth. The name of
the device escapes me, yet, it consisted of a steel chamber in which large
film reels could be inserted. The front of the chamber was closed and
it had a strong pressure seal. A solution of formaldehyde or
para-formaldehyde was kept in a reservoir that fed the device. The
chamber was pressurized and after the film was left for a time it could
be removed.

Has anyone on the list heard of something like this? It was a fairly
common practice at one time.