Re: New Year's resolutions

From: steves ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 12/29/03-02:22:15 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "John" <ap@darkroompro.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: New Year's resolutions

> At 04:05 PM 12/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>
> At 04:05 PM 12/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> >The list has been way too quiet for the holiday season, so I thought I
would
> >throw out a wacky idea that has been germinating in my mind during the
> >precious few idle moments that holidays generally bring: What if I
actually
> >organized my negatives, and I don't know, maybe even filed them in some
sort
> >of logical sequence?
> >
> >So how do incredibly self-actualized, virtuous and organized people
actually
> >do this? I'm thinking that an ideal system would be organized around the
> >common human need for over-simplification and sloth. So what is the
> >simplest and easiest system that might actually work? My system of
> >organizing by 'piles' may have reached it's logical end now, and some of
the
> >piles look dangerously close to their maximum angle of repose.
> >
> >Clay

It's not so hard to get a handle on these things, and while I'm not one of
the top stock photographers in the world, I learned a great method in the US
Navy.

Their numbering system starts with the year, in double digits, month in
double digits, day; and I put the subject that I photographed. If there's
another interpretation to that subject, it comes to mind when I search.

Ansel had that same method with a couple additions. He added B for black
and white, the iso number, an EI or foot candle reading, the N+ or minus for
the development and an initial for the type of film used . . . then the
military dating system and subject photographed. So, it might look
something like this: BTMY320N34000641225 Christmas Tree in living room
unlit.

Search engines? Thumb and forefinger :)

S. Shapiro