Re: Gelatin (waterproofing)

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 12/31/03-11:00:53 AM Z

Andrew Atkinson has created work in England using photopolymer plates.
They are used as "masters" for creating the printing plate. Photopolymer
molds would, like gelatin relief molds, need to become "waterproof" in
order to use them as Woodburytype molds.

Dried gelatin can withstand many tons per square inch of pressure without
distorting as Woodbury discovered. However, this quality isn't necessary
when you consider that a final Woodburytype print is created with very
little pressure. Woodbury's original press consisted of two sheets of
glass sandwiching the mold, gelatin and paper. Wearing of a hardened
and "waterproofed" gelatin plate is not known since little information exists
regarding the method.

Nonetheless, using "waterproofed" gelatin is the basis of the Heimsoeth method
which was patented around the turn of the century as Andrew Atkinson discovered.

This would be a German patent issued around 1900 for Heimsoeth & Co.
Would anyone on the list know of or have a copy of this Patent?

all the best,

Phillip