R: oil printing

From: Alberto Novo (alnovo@inwind.it)
Date: 02/01/03-12:05:10 PM Z

Dear Gord,

> I also have Koenig's book on Gumoil - which is supposed to give similar
> results.

This is a completely different technique, despite his name.

> Has anyone used both processes? Any opinions on which one I should
> attempt first?

As you have already read, oil printing is easier than bromoil, and they
behave differently while inking.

> The reason I want to try these processes is the ability to ink different
> parts of the print with diffirent colors. I have a few images just calling
> out, begging for color, but I don't think hand coloring would do it.

Oil and bromoil are very flexible processes, in my opinion superior to gum
dichromate. Hovever, the "oilist" (or "oiler"?) must acquire a good skill
before trying a multi-coloured print.

Some examples of oil prints are in http://www.grupponamias.com/index_en.html
, look at the Gallery.

Alberto