Re: oil printing & hard gelatin

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 02/05/03-09:48:03 AM Z

Hi:

In Barnier's chapter on oil printing in "Coming into focus" he says
hardening is unesseccary for the matrix if a hard gelatin is used. He
recommends three coats of gelatin, hardening if a soft gelatin is used,
and then superdrying the matrix (heating the matrx).

This is supposed to provide a gelatin coating that will swell
apporpriately for inking.

I thought I would try a hard gelatin in order to skip a step :)

Gord

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
> Subject: Re: oil printing & hard gelatin
> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:30:24 -0600 (CST)
>
> > - I want to try using a
> > hard gelation ( > 250 bloom) and wondering if there is some common
> > industry that uses this locally so I don't have to special order this.
> > Otherwise I'll use Knox from the grocery store and harden it.
>
> What do you use it for? Do you need extra dry strength?

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2