Re: oil printing & hard gelatin

From: Ryuji Suzuki (RSuzuki@MIT.EDU)
Date: 02/05/03-09:54:32 AM Z

From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: oil printing & hard gelatin
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:48:03 -0600 (CST)

> In Barnier's chapter on oil printing in "Coming into focus" he says
> hardening is unesseccary for the matrix if a hard gelatin is used. He
> recommends three coats of gelatin, hardening if a soft gelatin is used,
> and then superdrying the matrix (heating the matrx).

I see. I'm not familiar with the process, but dry strength can be
increased by making the coating material thick (viscous) by increasing
the gelatin, and set (gelate) at a low temperature, and then dry
it. Of course, this may require better coating technique.

I don't know how food grade gelatin compares to photographic grade
gelatin. Is there any gelatin from grocery store that people have
information as to Type A/B, source (bone, hide, etc.) and bloom
strength?