Chicago

From: Andrew Epstein (aiepstein@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/05/03-10:21:01 PM Z

Hi:

Writing from beautiful (and cold cold) downtown Iowa City, Iowa with a
question: Can anyone recommend galleries or exhibits in the Chicago area
featuring alt-photos? I'll be there this weekend and the first part of next
week.

And if anyone is in the eastern Iowa area, there is a show of cyanotypes made
by alternative high school students at the
<http://www.mandala-gallery.org/>Mandala Community Art Gallery in Oxford, Iowa
(it only seemed natural for them for them delve into alternative processes).
The gallery is run by students from the local high school. Perhaps Oxford's
most illustrious citizen (which isn't hard for a town of a few hundred) is
Peter Feldstein whom I think some of you know. He teaches at the University of
Iowa and is very accomplished with the cliche verre process. He was
instrumental in helping start the gallery as well as my own journey into the
alt-photo domain.

By way of introduction, I am a public school district administrator who likes
to teach a class in photography and poetry every now and then to stay fresh.
I've been printing cyanotyoes (Mike Ware's formula mainly) and VDB for about a
year now. The information and discussions on this list have been indispensable
to my learning process. My sincere thanks to you all for sharing.

Cheers,
Andrew