Bank o' BLs: Spacing?

From: Joe Tait (jtait@texas.net)
Date: 02/06/03-06:39:45 PM Z

I am trying to figure out how to build an exposure unit, am pretty close to
buying the materials, but had a few questions. I read Sandy King's article on
unblinkingeye.com & searched the archives and am still confused :) ....

I am opting for a unit to do up to 20x30, and had planned on getting T8 24" 20w
BL tubes. The simplest thing seems to be to buy the pre-fab dual magnetic
fixtures available at Home Depot and plug those into a power strip plugged into
my timer. This is possible, no?

If I do this, then I won't need ballasts, correct?

If I don't do that and build from scratch, are the three components a tube,
ballast & fixture?

How do you space the tubes closely if you go with pre-fab fixtures from Home
Depot?

Thanks.

-Joe