Re: Bank o' BLs: Spacing?

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/06/03-07:32:55 PM Z

Joe wrote:

>I am trying to figure out how to build an exposure unit, am pretty close to
>buying the materials, but had a few questions. I read Sandy King's article on
>unblinkingeye.com & searched the archives and am still confused :) ....

Part of the confusion may stem from the fact that there are many
options that all lead more or less to the same result. Then again
maybe I just did not explain things very well!!

>I am opting for a unit to do up to 20x30, and had planned on getting
>T8 24" 20w
>BL tubes. The simplest thing seems to be to buy the pre-fab dual magnetic
>fixtures available at Home Depot and plug those into a power strip
>plugged into
>my timer. This is possible, no?

Yes, this is possible.

>If I do this, then I won't need ballasts, correct?

The ballasts are already fitted into the dual fixtures.

>If I don't do that and build from scratch, are the three components a tube,
>ballast & fixture?

Components would be tube, ballast, wiring, bi-pin holders, and a box
to fit this into.

>How do you space the tubes closely if you go with pre-fab fixtures from Home
>Depot?

You don't. It is impossible to get spacing much tighter than about
1.5" with the two-tube units. That is one of the reason why some
people assemble with the bi-pin holders. However, my opinion is that
there is really no advantage in speed of exposure to having the tubes
spaced any closer than 1.5" so you might just as well take advantage
of the simplicity of construction that comes with the pre-assembled
two-tube units.

BTW, if you need a unit to expose 20X30" you should consider the 48"
tubes. In most cases there is very little difference between a
two-tube 24" unit and a two-tube 48" unit, which means you might be
able to assemble a large unit for less money with the 48" tubes.

Sandy King