Re: Paper Negatives by reversal

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 02/06/03-08:43:37 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manuel Galán Molina" <mgalanmolina@hotmail.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 7:38 AM
Subject: Paper Negatives by reversal

> Hi list.
> Two years ago, i think, somebody put on the list a process
to obtain paper
> negatives by reversal. I have mailed another process, see
below, but i want
> to compare the two process. Anybody remembers this, or
something like this?

> I put this email in the pinhole list also, sorry for
duplication if anybody
> is on both list.
>
> Thanks
>
> Manuel, Spain
>
> My process (from http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/faq.html)
>
> PROCESSING ENLARGING PAPER AS A POSITIVE
> ...means you can use the paper in a camera and make
one-of-a-kind images...

> ...roughly collected from info seen in various rec.photo
postings...

  I have the original Kodak formulas. They were for a
special reversal paper called Kodak Super Speed Direct
Positive Paper, c.1940's.
  D-88 contains Sodium Hydroxide and Hydroquinone. It is
nearly a lithographic developer.
  It does not contain a halide solvent. I suspect that
Dektol would need some solvent to yield clear highlights.
The amount of solvent must be determined by experiment, just
as in reversing film. The second developer needs only to be
active, Dektol at 1:1 should be fine. I suggest adding some
bromide to Dektol when used as a first developer.
  The usual halide solvents used in reversal first
developers are sodium or potassium thiocyanate, or Sodium
thiosulfate.
  I have had good luck BTW, with making B&W prints from
Kodachrome transparencies by making paper negatives on
Panalure (actually the old Seagul panchromatic paper) and
printing on regular VC paper. Obviously, reversal processing
would save a step.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA