Re: Ansel Adams Article in LA Times

Argon3@aol.com
Date: 02/07/03-09:44:35 AM Z

I've noted that AA has been subject to the sort of "trashing" that I've seen
take place with other artists from other disciplines...when I was at film
school it was trendy to trash Stanley Kubrick, for example. I've come to
appreciate AA's whole life and body of work. I don't put him on a pedestal
by any means but he does appeal to me as a person who did what they did well
and "walked the walk".
It's easy to dis artist because they are figurative or make "pretty things"
or don't necessarily have some deep seated political agenda streaming through
their work. Cheap shots in my opinion. I hope that AA is appreciated for
what he did accomplish and the contributions that he made to the technical
side of photography (he was a consultant to Land on the development of
Polaroid, for example). One of the funniest things I've ever seen is the
photo of AA dressed as Moses holding two stone tablets with the ten zones on
them...priceless. I saw the AA at 100 show when it was in Chicago and when
my 11 year old daughter and I overheard an older woman viewing "Clearing
Winter Storm" say to her companion, "Just look at the detail!", we both
looked at each other with that "what do you expect from the heathens" look.

argon