Re: Homemade vacuum easel

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/07/03-03:57:39 PM Z

Mike wrote:

>Is this a generally-known experience among printers of large negs? Not just
>a problem with Wyoming altitude? When you say "large", Dave, what do you
>have in mind? Squarish, I imagine. Do you think I should I expect such
>problems when I start printing my 7x17's, or are these going to be narrow
>enough to avoid ungainliness?

Getting good contact with negatives over 8X10 is a problem everywhere
and for really large negatives I would recommend a vacuum frame. I
have two different Great Bassin printing frames that I use for 7X17
and 12X20 negatives and although they usually give me good results
there is no question but that the vacuum easel is better for prints
this size. Prints made with the vacuum easel just seem to have a bit
more snap, which I attribute to slightly tighter contact.

Sandy King