Re: Homemade vacuum easel

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/08/03-02:01:50 AM Z

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Dave Rose wrote:

> As others have suggested, anything larger than 8x10" really needs to be
> printed in a vacuum frame....if you want high quality results.

Here I must disagree...

I have a nu arc vacuum easel in the darkroom and haven't used it for
years... it's a noisy pain-in-the-neck. It's buried under a heap of
supplies so not worth the trouble of hauling out, but it's a great
relief to be done with it. I used it initially for contacting
doubleweight SG prints to lith, and I think it was good for that, but for
printing alt,

let me suggest that before going to the Xtreme trouble of building one,
(unless you're in the mood) you try what some folks, myself included, have
found satisfactory -- two sheets heavy glass. I use a possibly thinner
glass on the bottom (over the light) and a good heavy plate on the top.
Then, I generally put a gallon jug or two of water on the top -- which
takes all of two seconds... contact is excellent. And quiet.

Judy