Re: Homemade vacuum easel

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/09/03-11:00:12 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Dave Rose wrote:
>
>> As others have suggested, anything larger than 8x10" really needs to be
>> printed in a vacuum frame....if you want high quality results.
>
>Here I must disagree...

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. I can definitely see a
difference in most cases between large prints made with the vacuum
easel and those made with my contact printing frames, and the
difference is a little extra sharpness and snap in the prints made
with the vacuum easel.

Regardless, for those interested in making their own vacuum easel you
might look at one of the following sources.

1. www.bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/Vacuum_frame_construction.htm
This is an unlinked page at B&S that gives detail for making a large
vacuum easel, with glass top.

For vacuum pumps try C&H in Pasadena, California.
Last time I talked to them they were selling a small vacuum pump (a
Gast with a Fasco motor) from C&H in Pasadena, California for about
$35-40 as I recall.
Telephone:(800)325-9465 or
(626)796-2628 FAX:(626)796-4875

Another source for vacuum pumps is Surplus Center, at 1-800-488-3407.
I bought a real nice vacuum pump from them a couple of years ago, a
Gast 1/4 HP unit, item # 4-1540. They probably have something similar
now if not this particular unit.

For durability you want to get what is known as an oiless pump.

2. p. 33 of David Scopick's The Gum Bichormate Book has a drawing of
a vacuum easel that looks like it would be very simple to construct,
based on a covering of mylar, not glass.

Sandy King