Re: Homemade vacuum easel

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 02/09/03-10:31:41 AM Z

Dave:

How "much" vacuum is needed in for a vacuum frame. I want to build one
eventually. I could use anything from a high capacity vacuum pump to a
small aquarium pump - (replumbed to suck rather than blow). The
University her sells off surplus scientific equipment, that can be
converted to darkroom uses.

What do you use for registration (for multiple prints) My registration
method is very primitive - pins stuck pointy end up though a porous base
board, through the print paper and then through the negative.

These would poke holes in the polyester.

Gord

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Dave Rose wrote:

> As others have suggested, anything larger than 8x10" really needs to be
> printed in a vacuum frame....if you want high quality results.
>
> A monster vacuum cleaner is not required. I use a very small, inexpensive
> "Dirt Devil" hand-held vacuum cleaner. I had to construct a custom-made
> adaptor to fit the intake on the Dirt Devil so that I could attach a
> flexible plastic hose linking it to my vacuum easel. It's crude but cheap
> and effective.
>
> The vacuum must be running during the entire exposure. The noise is very
> annoying, especially here in Wyoming. It's so quiet in my house that I can
> literally 'hear a pin drop'.... if the wind isn't howling outdoors.
> Blasting loud rock 'n roll into the darkroom speakers helps drown out the
> roar.
>
> Cactus Cowboy

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2